WHY THE G4 ALLIANCE?
As many as five billion people lack access to basic surgical services worldwide, with less than 6% of all operations being delivered to the world’s poorest populations. Marginalized populations continue to suffer due to a lack of trained health care providers, inadequate infrastructure, disproportionate out of pocket healthcare costs, and a lack of prioritization of surgical, obstetric, trauma and anaesthesia care as part of national health plans and, more widely, the global agenda.
Surgical, obstetric, trauma, and anaesthesia care has a crucial role to play in fulfilling the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
With the introduction of both a World Health Organization Resolution recognizing the importance of Surgical Care and Anaesthesia as part of UHC and the SDGs, there has never been a more opportune time for members of the global community to unite in support of surgical care on the global agenda. In response to this opportunity, a network of stakeholders came together to form an Alliance of organizations dedicated to promoting universal access to safe, essential surgical, obstetric, trauma and anaesthesia care.
Together, G4 Alliance Member Organizations are united in their commitment to advocating for the neglected surgical patient.
The G4 Alliance exists to increase political priority and mobilize resources to help provide safe surgical care for patients in need. Collectively, we are 70+ organizations, with dozens of years of experience and mobilizing millions of dollars annually to build surgical capacity around the world through:
- Rigorous research and producing the evidence needed for effective advocacy and implementation;
- Understanding and galvanizing the tools, environment, standards and human capital available in low-resource settings;
- Implementing surgical trainings and related human resources for health (HRH) programs tailored to local contexts to strengthen health systems and increase access to surgical care for generations to come; and
- Providing safe, life-changing surgical care to patients in need.
Moving forward, the G4 Alliance will work to increase political priority and mobilize resources for surgical care with:
High-Income Countries (HICs), Multi-Lateral Organizations and the Private Sector
- so that these partners (public and private) are aware of the issue and willing to help provide the needed policies, partnerships, strategies and resources to implement successful solutions.
- so that NGOs, Health Ministries, Finance Ministries, governments, professional societies and other stakeholders are programmatically aligned, and tracking and evaluating progress efficiently; and
- so that the broader global health community and related sectors participate in health systems strengthening, which includes surgical care as a critical and an indivisible component of universal health coverage.
Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs)
- so that LMIC governments understand the impact of surgical care (or lack thereof) on the broader health system and establish country-ownership and effective, sustainable policies and programs; and
- so that local providers receive the resources (technical, partnerships, policies and funds) needed to increase access and provide safe surgical care for all.
Universal Access to Quality Surgical, Obstetric, Trauma and
Every human being is entitled to ready access to high quality, life-saving, safe surgical, obstetric, trauma and anaesthesia care performed in their communities. The G4 Alliance believes that significant improvements in surgical care and anaesthesia, which save lives and prevent life-long disability and life-threatening complications, can be sustainably and affordably integrated within existing health systems.
The G4 Alliance is committed to advocating for the neglected surgical patient and is driven by a mission to provide a collective voice for increased access to safe, essential and timely surgical, obstetric, trauma and anaesthesia care as part of universal health coverage.