The G4 Alliance provides a voice on behalf of the global surgical community to guide global health policy, raise awareness for disparities in surgical, obstetric, trauma, and anaesthesia care and to underscore cost-effective and successful strategies for key stakeholders, as well as national and international actors to address existing barriers to care.
We work to facilitate on-the-ground change by engaging with decision-makers and launching campaigns to galvanize support from policymakers and funders. As part of these efforts, we focus on country-specific advocacy by convening meetings and events to inform political prioritization of surgical care, leveraging the expertise of our network.
Past efforts have included:
- Coordinating and participating in meetings and policy discussions with country-level representatives, multi-lateral organizations, public and private sector and other key influencers.
- Hosting US Congressional Briefing on Surgical Care and the Global Need (highlighting the cost-effectiveness and the cross-cutting impacts of investing in surgical care) on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, in partnership with ReSurge International.
- Fostering relationships with key influencers to identify global surgery advocates and champions. Specific examples include engagement with the Ministries of Health of Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Libya, Liberia, Finland, Malawi, Somalia, Sudan, the USA (USAID, US Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health), and Ambassadors based in New York, Washington, DC and Geneva. These relationships are further cultivated through engagement on our G4 Honorary Council.
- Expert consultative meetings, civil society engagement forums, and regional launches in partnership with G4 member organizations to engage with local stakeholders and government officials. To date, consultations and forums have been hosted in Kenya, Malawi, the Philippines, Peru, Tanzania, the US and Czech Republic.
- Statement on Surgery & NCDs Submitted to the US Office of Global Affairs - Roundtable Consultation on NCDs (January 18, 2018)
- US HHS Pre-WHA Listening Session - G4 Alliance Statement (May 5, 2017)
- Recap of US Congressional Briefing: Renewing Commitments to Surgical Care (May 10, 2016)
- US Congressional Briefing on the Need for Surgical Care in Low-Resource Settings- G4 & ReSurge (February 4, 2015)