While policy briefs are a fantastic resource, you might not always have time for a long conversation. This elevator pitch will help you get to the point quickly - memorize the key stats, print it out on a notecard, and get ready to make the case for global surgery.
Safe Surgery Elevator Pitch: For Policymakers and Government Officials
Surgical care, including safe anesthesia, obstetric and trauma care, is a cross-cutting, cost-effective public health intervention to enhance health, productivity and economic development. Surgical care is fundamental to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly the targets including poverty, good health and well-being, universal health coverage, maternal and child health, gender equality, and non-communicable diseases.
- Five billion people lack access to safe, affordable surgical care and anaesthesia when needed.
- Each year, 17 million people die due to conditions that could be prevented or treated with safe surgery, and millions more suffer disabilities.
- Each year, 81 million people face catastrophic financial expenditure seeking access to safe surgery and anaesthesia.
- For every $1 invested in strengthening local surgical systems, $10 is returned in enhanced health and increased productivity.
What can you do this in 2018?
- Resolution 68.15 calls upon Member States to "collect and compile data on number, type and indications of surgical procedures performed, referrals and perioperative mortality in their respective countries, and to share such data as appropriate...". Last year, an amendment was made to this resolution calling for the Director General to report back every 3-years until 2030 on progress towards Resolution 68.15 has been approved. We ask you to support this data collection on surgical indicators within your country.