The G4 Alliance hosted its international launch in Geneva, Switzerland on May 19, 2015. Taking place in parallel with the 68th World Health Assembly, the launch provided an opportunity to advocate for the importance of surgical care and anaesthesia as part of a primary package of health care. Hosted in partnership with the G4 Alliance's Member Organizations and H.E. Mr. John Sandy, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago to the United Nations in Geneva, the event brought together government officials, policy makers, and civil society stakeholders united in their dedication to advocating for the neglected surgical patient.
Over 100 guests attended the launch event, including official country representatives from Ireland, Italy, Malta, Moldova, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, the United States of America, Vietnam, and Zambia.
Special guest speakers included:
- Honorable Dr. Joseph Kasonde, Minister of Health, Republic of Zambia
- Dr. Karen DeSalvo, U.S. Acting Assistant Secretary for Health, Department of Health and Human Service
- H.E. Mr. Christopher Onyanga Aparr, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Uganda to the United Nations in Geneva
- His Excellency Mr. Marciano Octavio Garcia Da Silva, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste to the United Nations in Geneva
- Dr. Luong Ngoc Khuê, Director of Medical Service Administration, Ministry of Health, Vietnam
- Sir George Alleyne, Director Emeritus, Pan American Health Organization, Chancellor, University of the West Indies, Professor, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Mr. Seán Ó hAodha, First Secretary: Humanitarian issues (OCHA, UNHCR, ICRC, IFRC), migration (IOM), health (WHO, UNAIDS) and development (UNCTAD), Permanent Mission of Ireland to the UN
- Dr. Harald Veen, Chief Surgeon, International Committee of the Red Cross
- Dr. Patrick Herard, Consulting Surgeon, MSF
- Dr. Teri Reynolds, WHO Emergency, Trauma and Acute Care Division of the Department for Management of Non-communicable Diseases, Disability, Violence and Injury Prevention
- Dr. Erin Anastasi, Technical Specialist, Obstetric Fistula/Maternal Health/Sexual & Reproductive Health at UNFPA
The global launch of the G4 Alliance took place following the organization's 2nd Board Meeting which brought together representatives from its 46 member organizations.